November 30, 2025
Parents of the abducted 253 students and teachers from St Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State and are still in bandits’ captivity have expressed their agony as the families accuse the government of inaction while anger grows nationwide over rising school abductions in Nigeria.
The more than 200 parents of abducted students and teachers are lamenting the mounting of frustration and anguish as they await news about their loved ones, eight days after the unfortunate incident.
About 315 people, comprising 303 students and 12 staff members, were bducted by armed bandits who stormed the school on November 21, Two days later, on November 23, at least 50 students escaped, reducing the number of people still in captivity to 253.
On Saturday, distressed parents gathered at the school premises to register their names, following a directive from the Niger State Government. Many wept openly and bitterly while carrying placards with inscriptions such as “Bring Back Our Girls,” “Our Girls and Teachers Are Still in Captivity,” “We Need Security in Agwarra,” and “Is Education a Crime?”
Parents also expressed their displeasure that, since the incident, no representative of the state government had visited to console affected families.
READ MORE; Bandits Strike Again In Another Kwara Community, Pregnant Woman, Children Abducted.
The Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese and proprietor of the school, Rev. Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, revealed that the tragedy had already led to the death of two parents, who reportedly suffered fatal shock and trauma.
“I am devastated. In fact, I am very disturbed that the children, up till now, are not back yet,” said the school’s headmistress, Sister Blessing Amodu, who broke down in tears.
“All I am pleading for at this moment is for the government and everyone concerned to please help us find ways to rescue these children and staff,” she added.
One of the parent, Mr Dimas Joseph Mauhuta, whose son, Julius Dimas (JSS 2), is among those in captivity, condemned the government’s alleged denial that the children were abducted.“We wonder why the state government would say such a thing.
“The truth is that my child and others were abducted. The government should stop the blame game and act,” he said.
The Diocesan Director of Communication, Rev. Fr. Stephen Okafor, said the registration process was mandated by the government to ensure proper documentation.
“With this registration and the number of parents who have turned up, we hope the negative speculations will end.”
Addressing the parents, Bishop Yohanna expressed hope that the abducted students and staff would soon regain their freedom.
“It is eight days now since their abduction. We have not heard anything yet, but we remain very hopeful and prayerful,” he said.
He also disclosed the immense challenge of gathering parents from over 50 communities, many of whom travelled for three to four hours by motorcycle to reach the school.
The school principal, Rev. Sister Felicia Gyam, dismissed reports that the school received prior warnings before the attack.
“Whoever claims there was a prior warning should provide evidence. There was neither a circular nor a verbal notification,” she clarified.
READ MORE; Bandits Kill Vice Principal, Abduct 25 Schoolgirls In Kebbi State
The St Mary’s abduction adds to a disturbing pattern of mass kidnappings in Kebbi, Kwara, Niger, and other states, sparking nationwide and international outrage. Among the global voices calling for the immediate release of the hostages is Pope Leo XIV.
In response to the escalating insecurity, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu ordered the deployment of security forces to search for the abductees, approved the recruitment of additional police personnel, declared a nationwide security emergency, and authorised the deployment of forest guards in vulnerable communities.
The attack underscores the growing threat posed by multiple armed groups, including Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), intensifying criticism of the federal government’s handling of security across the country.
Security analysts want the root causes of Nigeria’s conflict addressed urgently otherwise, the government is putting at risk the peace, unity, and future of the nation.





